Training Video:Workflow Configuration
This video explains how to make basic changes to the EPrints Workflow. The EPrints Workflow controls how you move through screens to create a new item and is a key part of the user experience.
What You Will Learn
- What the EPrints workflow looks like as a user and how this relates to the control file
- How to modify fields in the workflow to move them, group them and remove them
- How to make fields required, for everything or for specific types
- How to show different fields for different item types
What You Should Already Know
- Familiarity with the EPrints Admin interface
- Awareness of how to read and edit markup (e.g. HTML or XML)
The Video can be found at http://youtu.be/aAU4whEWSRw.
- 0:09 Log in as EPrints Administrator
- 0:10 What are EPrints workflows and where are they used?
- 0:52 How are they controlled?
- 1:47 The flow tag: defining stages
- 2:24 The type and upload stages: simple stages with one or two components
- 2:45 Finding the stage name in the URL
- 3:06 The details stage: complex stages
- 3:29 Structure of a component
- 3:47 Making fields mandatory: setting the required property
- 4:02 Conditional fields: showing different fields for different types of item
- 4:48 Practical example: how to edit the workflow to make a field required
- 5:56 Multiple fields in one component
- 7:24 Setting requirements differently for different item types
- 7:47 Practical example: making a field required for one item type
- 8:54 Practical example: Removing a field from the workflow
Notes, Errata and Additional Information
- EPrints 3.3.14
Log in as administrator (you can use http://demoprints.eprints.org if you don't have a test system to play with) and open up the default workflow for an EPrint.
Make a field mandatory.
Group the Title and Abstract fields under a Field::Multi Component and give this component a title.
Make the Abstract field required for articles but not for books.
Remove the Official URL field from Books.