indexer - Indexing daemon for EPrints
indexer start [options]
This daemon runs in the background and creates index files for all eprints repositories.
Messages and errors are logged to /opt/eprints3/var/indexer.log unless you change the log options. If it appears to be having problems try raising the log level and examining the log.
Once every 24 hours, the indexer rolls the logs (up to logfile.5) and then starts again. See --rollcount for ways to customise this.
- Print a brief help message and exit.
- Print the full manual page and then exit.
- Be vewwy vewwy quiet. This option will supress all output unless an error occurs.
- Start up, even if the PID file exists (implying another copy is running). This is useful for starting after a crash, but be carefully not to run to copies at once as BAD THINGS will happen.
- Explain in detail what is going on. May be repeated for greater effect.
- Clear broken event queue items (items that are "inprogress" or "failed") before commencing.
- Retry broken event queue items (items that are "inprogress" or "failed") before commencing.
- --logfile filename
- Log to filename rather than default indexer log.
- --loglevel level
- Set the level of detail to log. Level may be 0-6.
- --rollcount number
- Set the number of once-through logs that should be kept. If set to zero then indexer will never roll the logs but rather just keep writing to the main log.
- --respawn seconds
- Respawn the indexer every seconds (rolls the log files).
- Do not become a daemon, remain attached to the current terminal.
- Log goes to STDERR instead of the log file.
- Does not create a .pid file.
- Only clear the current queue of things needing indexing then exit.
- Output version information and exit.
Making into a service
This has only been tested under redhat linux. It make work on other OS's, but not promise.
To make the indexer into a service which starts and stops on reboots etc. like httpd and mysqld do the following (as root):
ln -s /opt/eprints3/bin/epindexer /etc/init.d/epindexer chkconfig --add epindexer chkconfig epindexer on
The epindexer script runs as root, changes user to "eprints" (or whatever uid your eprints install runs as) and then calls indexer.
Copyright 2000-2011 University of Southampton.
This file is part of EPrints http://www.eprints.org/.
EPrints is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
EPrints is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with EPrints. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.