Installing EPrints on Debian/Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS or 16.04 LTS (non-LTS versions not recommended) or Debian 7 (Wheezy) or 8 (Jessie).
Installing from EPrints 3.3.x DEB
As the root user create a file at /etc/apt/sources.list.d/eprints.list and add the following line
deb http://deb.eprints.org/ stable/
Now to install EPrints and all its dependencies execute the following command, again as the root user:
apt-get update apt-get install eprints
EPrints will now be installed at /usr/share/eprints3. However, you will not yet have a running archive. Follow the Getting Started with EPrints 3 instructions to set this up.
Installing EPrints 3.3.x from Source
N.B. Installing from source is generally discouraged particularly for production repositories. However, if want to develop the EPrints code or a plugin or Bazaar package it may be useful to install from source, ideally from EPrints Core Git repository.
EPrints will now be installed at /opt/eprints3. However, you will not yet have a running archive. Follow the Getting Started with EPrints 3 instructions to set this up.
Issues with Ubuntu 14.04 (Apache 2.3/2.4)
Apache 2.3+ and PERL v5.16+ introduce a few changes which break EPrints.
A complete HOW-TO guide to install EPrints3 on Ubuntu 14.04 is available here
Current patches on github are:
- See last comment on https://github.com/eprints/eprints/issues/214 [ use of remote_ip ]
- https://github.com/eprints/eprints/issues/237 [ NameVirtualHost deprecated ]
- https://github.com/eprints/eprints/issues/236 [ Order allow,deny deprecated ]
- https://github.com/eprints/eprints/commit/157db0d27d423d38f9c0fc31ce47e519cd861d45 [ utf8::decode and URI parameters ]
Ensure that mpm_prefork module is enabled in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled (among others).
Complete list of modules for a working repository include the following (although some may be surplus to requirements e.g. php5 is not strictly necessary)