Community Contributions Day November 2015
This page has been created in the run-up to the EPrints Community Contributions day on November 18th, 2015
This event is intended to bring the all parts of the EPrints community together to improve the software and documentation. We hope to achieve:
- code improvements
- wiki curation
- training and demonstration videos
- community members interacting and training each other
Event Run Up
Things for participants to do before the event:
- Register for the Wiki via the EPrints LDAP server at http://trac.eprints.org/ldap/
- If you have an a suggestion for an interest group, add it below
- Please add your name to an interest group that looks interesting.
On the Day
So, you have time to contribute and need to know how to get started. Here are your options:
- Pick an interest group below, and join it
- If you don't know how to join, contact one of the event organisers
- Adam Field
- @gobfrey on twitter
- Valerie McCutcheon
- Adam Field
Any contribution that can be made is welcome, whether it's a minor edit to a wiki page or a bugfix. However, it may be profitable to run a number of discussion groups in the morning around areas of interest. These discussion groups can then set up work to be accomplished in the afternoon.
- 10:00 - 11:00 Interest groups meet (skype, google hangout?), make decisions and assign tasks
- What problem are we solving?
- How will we work?
- What communication platform will we use? Skype, Google Hangouts, Google Docs, EMail?
- Who will do what?
- 11:00 - 13:00 Morning Contributions
- 14:00 - 16:00 Afternoon Contributions
- 16:00 - 16:30 Interest groups wrap-up and reporting.
Each interest group should have a leader who is responsible for chairing the initial meeting, making sure the logistics run smoothly and creating some kind of record of the day (blog post, wiki page, etc).
Group 1: Community Training Course
This interest group is concerned with the wiki page at http://wiki.eprints.org/w/EPrints_Training_Course.
Areas of Discussion
- Standard layout and content for training video pages
- Content of the training course
- Production of new content
- Linking to other wiki pages
- Adam Field (willing to lead the group)
- Alan Stiles (alternatively contributing to Group 2)
- Lizz Jennings (likely to switch between this and Group 2)
- Mick Eadie
Group 2: Technical
This interest group will be looking at Github, folding in pull requests and evaluating bugs.
Topics of Discussion
- Vagrant build
- Jiadi Yao
- Alan Stiles (alternative contributing to Group 1)
- Lizz Jennings (likely to switch between this and Group 1)
- Mick Eadie
- Patrick McSweeney
- John Salter
Group 3: Community Contributions, Best Practices and Processes
This group will look at how barriers to community contributions (at all levels) can be lowered and community engagement can be promoted. We'll also look at community best practices and processes in EPrints.
- Rachel Proudfoot - skype 'rachel_proudfoot'
- Valerie McCutcheon -skype 'mccutchv'
- Adam Field (in and out, mainly in group 1)
Working Document (Google doc)
- Group 3 Capture document - if you can't edit it, contact Rachel or Valerie
Possible subtopics - what do users want?
- User friendly topic guide on wiki
- Open Access - drafting community requirements for a standard functionality in EPrints.
Participants are encouraged to join an interest group, but have the option of working independently on their own pet project or objective. Please put your name in the members list below, with a brief description of what you will be progressing.
- Luke Skywalker (I'll be researching the Force)
Each interest group should decide on the appropriate platform to use for communications and coordination.
It would be appreciated if each team could produce a write-up of the days activities for the benefit of future events and to show the value of the day. It should be no more than 400 words and a bulleted list of outcomes. Feel free to post these on any blog or platform you wish, but Adam Field would quite like to gather them all together in a blog post about the day.