Difference between revisions of "Community Contributions Day November 2015"

From EPrints Documentation
Jump to: navigation, search
(Event Run Up)
(Group 2: Technical)
 
(46 intermediate revisions by 8 users not shown)
Line 16: Line 16:
 
* Register for the Wiki via the EPrints LDAP server at [http://trac.eprints.org/ldap/ http://trac.eprints.org/ldap/]
 
* Register for the Wiki via the EPrints LDAP server at [http://trac.eprints.org/ldap/ http://trac.eprints.org/ldap/]
 
* If you have an a suggestion for an interest group, add it below
 
* If you have an a suggestion for an interest group, add it below
* Please add your name to an interest group that looks interesting.
+
* Please add your name to an interest group that looks interesting (see [[Training_Video:EPrints_Wiki_Basics]] for how to edit the wiki)
  
 
== On the Day ==
 
== On the Day ==
  
=== Independent Contribution ===
+
=== Jumping In ===
  
If contributors have particular projects they want to work on on their own and post back to the group, then there's no need to join an Interest GroupAdd you name below and a short text about what you plan to contribute.
+
So, you have time to contribute and need to know how to get startedHere are your options:
 
+
Members:
+
  
 +
* Pick an interest group below, and join it
 +
* If you don't know how to join, contact one of the event organisers
 +
** Adam Field
 +
*** @gobfrey on twitter
 +
*** af05v@ecs.soton.ac.uk
 +
** Valerie McCutcheon
 +
***valerie.mccutcheon@glasgow.ac.uk
 +
*** 0141-330-2674
 +
** Rachel Proudfoot
 +
*** 0113 343 4554
  
 
=== Interest Groups ===
 
=== Interest Groups ===
Line 31: Line 39:
 
Any contribution that can be made is welcome, whether it's a minor edit to a wiki page or a bugfix.  However, it may be profitable to run a number of discussion groups in the morning around areas of interest.  These discussion groups can then set up work to be accomplished in the afternoon.
 
Any contribution that can be made is welcome, whether it's a minor edit to a wiki page or a bugfix.  However, it may be profitable to run a number of discussion groups in the morning around areas of interest.  These discussion groups can then set up work to be accomplished in the afternoon.
  
* 10:00 - 11:00 Interest groups meet (google hangout?), make decisions and assign tasks
+
* 10:00 - 11:00 Interest groups meet (skype, google hangout?), make decisions and assign tasks
 
** What problem are we solving?
 
** What problem are we solving?
 
** How will we work?
 
** How will we work?
 +
** What communication platform will we use? Skype, Google Hangouts, Google Docs, EMail?
 
** Who will do what?
 
** Who will do what?
 
* 11:00 - 13:00 Morning Contributions
 
* 11:00 - 13:00 Morning Contributions
 
* 14:00 - 16:00 Afternoon Contributions
 
* 14:00 - 16:00 Afternoon Contributions
 
* 16:00 - 16:30 Interest groups wrap-up and reporting.
 
* 16:00 - 16:30 Interest groups wrap-up and reporting.
 
  
 
Each interest group should have a leader who is responsible for chairing the initial meeting, making sure the logistics run smoothly and creating some kind of record of the day (blog post, wiki page, etc).
 
Each interest group should have a leader who is responsible for chairing the initial meeting, making sure the logistics run smoothly and creating some kind of record of the day (blog post, wiki page, etc).
 +
  
 
==== Group 1: Community Training Course ====
 
==== Group 1: Community Training Course ====
 +
 +
We're coordinating via a [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CPegvGl9BO45E4ye5_Bpk7e3kurc_spEL3OcmGcUZyA/edit?usp=sharing Google Doc]
  
 
This interest group is concerned with the wiki page at http://wiki.eprints.org/w/EPrints_Training_Course.
 
This interest group is concerned with the wiki page at http://wiki.eprints.org/w/EPrints_Training_Course.
Line 49: Line 60:
 
* Standard layout and content for training video pages
 
* Standard layout and content for training video pages
 
* Content of the training course
 
* Content of the training course
 +
* Production of new content
 +
* Linking to other wiki pages
  
 
Members:
 
Members:
* Adam Field
+
* Adam Field (willing to lead the group)
 
* Alan Stiles (alternatively contributing to Group 2)
 
* Alan Stiles (alternatively contributing to Group 2)
 
* Lizz Jennings (likely to switch between this and Group 2)
 
* Lizz Jennings (likely to switch between this and Group 2)
 
* Mick Eadie
 
* Mick Eadie
 +
* George Mamalakis (may also help in some bug reports in Group 2 and also help in creating some Bazaar packages we've already started)
  
 
==== Group 2: Technical ====
 
==== Group 2: Technical ====
  
 
This interest group will be looking at Github, folding in pull requests and evaluating bugs.
 
This interest group will be looking at Github, folding in pull requests and evaluating bugs.
 +
 +
Get on the google hangout now [https://hangouts.google.com/call/md4isxlevojprl6n3vpp2c3dtua https://hangouts.google.com/call/md4isxlevojprl6n3vpp2c3dtua]
 +
 +
Topics of Discussion
 +
* Vagrant build - see: https://github.com/eprintsug/eprints-vagrant (Good work! EP-Kudos and a cream bun to Robert Doiel!)
 +
* Categorisation of issues: https://github.com/eprints/eprints/issues
 +
* Building a [[How to build a development environment from source control]]
 +
* Having built an EPrints from source the Unit tests do not all pass...
  
 
Members
 
Members
Line 65: Line 87:
 
* Lizz Jennings (likely to switch between this and Group 1)
 
* Lizz Jennings (likely to switch between this and Group 1)
 
* Mick Eadie
 
* Mick Eadie
* Patrick McSweeney
+
* Patrick McSweeney (will lead the session ;o)
 +
* John Salter (will assist with the leading of the session)
 +
* John Beaman
  
==== Group 3: Community Contributions ====
+
==== Group 3: Community Contributions, Best Practices and Processes ====
  
This group will look at how barriers to community contributions (at all levels) can be lowered and community engagement can be promoted.
+
This group will look at how barriers to community contributions (at all levels) can be lowered and community engagement can be promoted. We'll also look at community best practices and processes in EPrints. '''If you don't make the 10 o'clock meeting, don't worry, just come and join us at the Google Doc below.'''
  
 
Members
 
Members
  
* Rachel Proudfoot
+
* Rachel Proudfoot - skype 'rachel_proudfoot'
 +
* Valerie McCutcheon -skype 'mccutchv'
 +
* Les Carr
 +
* Adam Field (in and out, mainly in group 1)
  
==== Group 4: Best Practices and Processes ====
+
'''Working Document (Google doc)'''
 +
* [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YYqeB0r5S8A9rYO9UZN-SoQLBLb2B7WQuP_WW3EKXEU/edit?usp=sharing Group 3 Capture document] - if you can't edit it, contact Rachel or Valerie
  
This group is concerned with community best practices and processes in EPrints.
+
Possible subtopics - what do users want?
  
Suggested subtopics - Impact, Open Access - drafting community requirements for a standard functionality in EPrints. What else might we tackle on the day?
+
* User friendly topic guide on wiki
 +
* reliable version information (cf. [[Required_software]]) incl. wiki update
 +
* Impact
 +
* Open Access - drafting community requirements for a standard functionality in EPrints.
  
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YaAFGG6KP6GgN9y2INYjCen1fVZ_XQKxghdW58TjYLc/edit Google Doc link]
+
=== Independent Contribution ===
 +
 
 +
Participants are encouraged to join an interest group, but have the option of working independently on their own pet project or objective. Please put your name in the members list below, with a brief description of what you will be progressing.
  
 
Members:
 
Members:
* Valerie McCutcheon ( I can lead this but happy for someone else to do it)
+
 
 +
* Luke Skywalker (I'll be researching the Force)
  
 
=== Logistics ===
 
=== Logistics ===
 +
 +
Each interest group should decide on the appropriate platform to use for communications and coordination.
  
 
== Post Event ==
 
== Post Event ==
 +
 +
It would be appreciated if each team could produce a write-up of the days activities for the benefit of future events and to show the value of the day.  It should be no more than 400 words and a bulleted list of outcomes.  Feel free to post these on any blog or platform you wish, but Adam Field would quite like to gather them all together in a blog post about the day.

Latest revision as of 15:24, 19 November 2015

This page has been created in the run-up to the EPrints Community Contributions day on November 18th, 2015

Objectives

This event is intended to bring the all parts of the EPrints community together to improve the software and documentation. We hope to achieve:

  • code improvements
  • wiki curation
  • training and demonstration videos
  • community members interacting and training each other

Event Run Up

Things for participants to do before the event:

On the Day

Jumping In

So, you have time to contribute and need to know how to get started. Here are your options:

  • Pick an interest group below, and join it
  • If you don't know how to join, contact one of the event organisers
    • Adam Field
      • @gobfrey on twitter
      • af05v@ecs.soton.ac.uk
    • Valerie McCutcheon
      • valerie.mccutcheon@glasgow.ac.uk
      • 0141-330-2674
    • Rachel Proudfoot
      • 0113 343 4554

Interest Groups

Any contribution that can be made is welcome, whether it's a minor edit to a wiki page or a bugfix. However, it may be profitable to run a number of discussion groups in the morning around areas of interest. These discussion groups can then set up work to be accomplished in the afternoon.

  • 10:00 - 11:00 Interest groups meet (skype, google hangout?), make decisions and assign tasks
    • What problem are we solving?
    • How will we work?
    • What communication platform will we use? Skype, Google Hangouts, Google Docs, EMail?
    • Who will do what?
  • 11:00 - 13:00 Morning Contributions
  • 14:00 - 16:00 Afternoon Contributions
  • 16:00 - 16:30 Interest groups wrap-up and reporting.

Each interest group should have a leader who is responsible for chairing the initial meeting, making sure the logistics run smoothly and creating some kind of record of the day (blog post, wiki page, etc).


Group 1: Community Training Course

We're coordinating via a Google Doc

This interest group is concerned with the wiki page at http://wiki.eprints.org/w/EPrints_Training_Course.

Areas of Discussion

  • Standard layout and content for training video pages
  • Content of the training course
  • Production of new content
  • Linking to other wiki pages

Members:

  • Adam Field (willing to lead the group)
  • Alan Stiles (alternatively contributing to Group 2)
  • Lizz Jennings (likely to switch between this and Group 2)
  • Mick Eadie
  • George Mamalakis (may also help in some bug reports in Group 2 and also help in creating some Bazaar packages we've already started)

Group 2: Technical

This interest group will be looking at Github, folding in pull requests and evaluating bugs.

Get on the google hangout now https://hangouts.google.com/call/md4isxlevojprl6n3vpp2c3dtua

Topics of Discussion

Members

  • Jiadi Yao
  • Alan Stiles (alternative contributing to Group 1)
  • Lizz Jennings (likely to switch between this and Group 1)
  • Mick Eadie
  • Patrick McSweeney (will lead the session ;o)
  • John Salter (will assist with the leading of the session)
  • John Beaman

Group 3: Community Contributions, Best Practices and Processes

This group will look at how barriers to community contributions (at all levels) can be lowered and community engagement can be promoted. We'll also look at community best practices and processes in EPrints. If you don't make the 10 o'clock meeting, don't worry, just come and join us at the Google Doc below.

Members

  • Rachel Proudfoot - skype 'rachel_proudfoot'
  • Valerie McCutcheon -skype 'mccutchv'
  • Les Carr
  • Adam Field (in and out, mainly in group 1)

Working Document (Google doc)

Possible subtopics - what do users want?

  • User friendly topic guide on wiki
  • reliable version information (cf. Required_software) incl. wiki update
  • Impact
  • Open Access - drafting community requirements for a standard functionality in EPrints.

Independent Contribution

Participants are encouraged to join an interest group, but have the option of working independently on their own pet project or objective. Please put your name in the members list below, with a brief description of what you will be progressing.

Members:

  • Luke Skywalker (I'll be researching the Force)

Logistics

Each interest group should decide on the appropriate platform to use for communications and coordination.

Post Event

It would be appreciated if each team could produce a write-up of the days activities for the benefit of future events and to show the value of the day. It should be no more than 400 words and a bulleted list of outcomes. Feel free to post these on any blog or platform you wish, but Adam Field would quite like to gather them all together in a blog post about the day.