Eprints 3 upgrade
A journal of our upgrade process from eprints2 to eprints3. This will include my own stupid mistakes and errors, many will be laughable and show my true incompetence. I keep them here so others do not do the same!
Current Version: EPrints 2.3.12 (Southern Chicken) [Born on 2005-05-24] Running on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (based on Debian) Visual look and quite a bit of the wording has been changed, and endnote/BibTeX import functionality has been added (via the downloads from the eprints.org site).
- Apache 2 installed, with mod perl and php
- Other dependencies
- Install eprints3
- Create test archive (ep3a)
- Install and run migration tool. Document results.
- Look in to problems, use mailing list for support
- Modify wording of user interface (both for depositors and end users) to follow changes made on eprints2 (where they still apply and where changes were not bought across)
- Apply Sussex Templates to eprints3
- Install additional modules to bring in line with extra functionality of our eprints2 setup, see table below
- Repeat migration process of data to test and address issues.
- Follow steps to add additional functionality, such as auto-complete features, which are not out-of-the-box, but core features of eprints3.
- Update documentation and screenshots ready for eprints3
- Demonstrate to others, solicit feedback
- Make changes based on user feedback
- Migrate data one final time, update apache so that eprints.sussex.ac.uk points to eprints3, not eprints2. This will make eprints3 live. woohoo!
Steps to bring eprint3 (out of the box) in-line with our current eprints2
- Import from Endnote
- Import from Bibtex
- LDAP authentication
- Import/update users from text file
- Fields created to hold record id (from Uni pub db) and personnel id (for Sussex authors)
Install Apache 2, mod_perl, etc
- key doc http://wiki.eprints.org/w/Installing_EPrints_3_on_Ubuntu_6.10
- sudo apt-get install apache2 libapache2-mod-perl2
- eprints2 is on port 80. vi /etc/apache2/ports.cfg, changed from 80 to 8082
- /usr/sbin/apache2ctl start
- http://localhost:8082/ http://researchonline.lib.sussex.ac.uk:8082/ http://eprints.sussex.ac.uk:8082/ all work!
- [we already have mysql installed - skip step]
- sudo apt-get install libxml-libxml-perl libunicode-string-perl \
libterm-readkey-perl libmime-lite-perl libdbd-mysql-perl
- most of these were already installed. but at least
libterm-readkey-perl libmime-lite-perl were not.
- /etc/init.d/httpd stop start - eprints2 is still working!
- sudo cpan install Readonly