This page provides information on what makes EdShare/Language Box/OneShare different from a standard EPrints installation.
Add to this page any packages that are relevant to EdShare/LBox.
- 1 Data Model
- 2 Worflow
- 3 Preview tools
- 4 Previews/Coverflow-like interface
- 5 MePrints Profiles
- 6 Social Tools
- 7 Collections
- 8 Bookmarks
- 9 Folder/Shopping Basket
- 10 Collections Organiser
- 11 Viewing Permissions
- 12 Editing Permissions (TO DO)
- 13 ACLs for Viewing and Editing items
- 14 UI Styling
- 15 Embedding content (TO DO)
- 16 Improved Manage Deposit/My Shares page
- 17 Enforced HTTPS
- 18 Extra Tools
- 19 Blackboard integration (TO DO)
Simple metadata schema.
All eprints are of type 'resource' (also called 'share' on EdShare Soton).
- "My Shares"/"My Resources": re-use default EPrints "Items.pm" screen, add features from edshare@soton such as 'selecting share', nicer citations etc.
- "Edit" screen
Generating previews for:
- Microsoft Office formats (+ newer OpenXML standards)
- HTML pages
- Multimedia files (video + audio)
- <add more>
Or use a dedicated server for the task?
To allow to preview documents & multimedia files on the Summary page.
- Flash player
- A more simple HTML/JS interface (based on lightbox or else...)
- We still need to keep the basic 'list' interface for non-JS clients.
Any new Ed/LB/OneShare install should come with the MePrints package installed.
Add tools for commenting on resources. Maybe use SNEEP or Pat/Marcus' updated version.
Add virtual collections to EPrints. A virtual collection contains links to other resources.
A special virtual collection available for every user. Bookmarks are persistent and can be shared to other users.
AJAX Tools exist to easily populate bookmarks from search results, summary pages etc. (cf EdShare Soton).
A special virtual collection that allows people to aggregate shares during their current session. This allows easy creation of collections or download of several resources in one go.
Emptied when user logs out. Cannot be shared with other users.
The AJAX tool to easily create, edit and manage collections.
Must be improved significantly.
Use EdShare Soton's advanced viewing permissions to share with selected users, schools etc.
Previews are also included into that model i.e. you cannot see previews for a resource if you're not allowed to view/download the resource.
Editing Permissions (TO DO)
Cf. Viewing Permissions but for editing.
Maybe merge viewing + editing perms into a more generic ACL system.
ACLs for Viewing and Editing items
We could create a system of ACL (Access Control List) for each share/resource and add the appropriate hooks in the code:"can_user_edit", "can_user_view".
Create a unique, generic style for OneShare. This should be eye-catching but generic enough (cf. a vanilla EPrints install).
This include: default citations for resources and files, site template, frontpage, <add more>.
Embedding content (TO DO)
To allow embeddable objects that present a resource (maybe looking like the coverflow tool).
Use funkier citations, add AJAX tools to easily edit resources (eg. adding tags).
Make HTTPS compulsory.
- Anti-Virus Scanning: cf. use of Sophos on the EdShare Soton server.
- IRStats: improved integration of IRStats with EPrints.
- Bulk Upload & related features
- Tag cloud
- Presentation of latest additions on the frontpage
- <add more>
Blackboard integration (TO DO)
Single-deposit paradigm i.e. dissemination from OneShare to BB.