EdShare Reference Installation
Supported EPrints Versions 3.2
Project Started 2009
Project Webpage http://edshare.org.uk
The EdShare Reference Installation is the standard installation for EdShare and includes all of the functionality that is covered by the EdShare suite.
Once you have completed this recipie you will have a repository that has the following functionality;
- A simplified workflow removing features that are not required in the context of a teaching and learning resources repository
- Ability to create collections of resources
- Users can bookmark resources and collections
- There will be previews of documents on abstract pages
This time is purely an estimate, it may take you longer if you are not well versed in the customisation of EPrints through plugins. Additionally you should be comfortable working on a Linux command line.
The following conventions apply in this recipie;
- EPRINTS_ROOT - This is where you installed eprints. Usually this is /usr/share/eprints3 on Debian/Ubuntu or /opt/eprints3 following a source code install. Obviously change this if you installed EPrints elsewhere.
- ARCHIVEID - This is the id of the archive you set up that you want to carry out this recipie on.
You will need to have installed at least EPrints 3.1 before continuing. See the following pages for reference on how to do this;
You will need to obtain the following plugins in order to complete this recipie;
- EdShareCollections (EdShareCollectionsInstallation)
- MePrints (MePrintsInstall)
Additionally consult these pages for individual installation instructions for these plugins.
Before starting ensure that you are logged in as the eprints user and in your EPRINTS_ROOT. Usually you can do this by running;
sudo su eprints cd
Next change into your archive directory and extract the edsharecore tarball there. The name of your tarball may be different depending on the version you downloaded;
cd archives/ARCHIVEID tar -xzf edsharecore-x.tar.gz
Next you need to update your database structure, regenerate your views and regenerate your static pages;
EPRINTS_ROOT/bin/epadmin update_database_structure ARCHIVEID EPRINTS_ROOT/bin/generate_views ARCHIVEID EPRINTS_ROOT/bin/generate_static ARCHIVEID
Finally all you need to do is restart your web server to ensure that the settings are applied and you are then done.